Post new topic   Reply to topic    Storm Haven Forum Index -> Survivor's journal
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ToxicTree
Private

re: Learning to survive.

My name is Carter, When I woke on this island nearly 50 days ago, that was all I knew for sure.

My first memory is awaking on a beach, I see the sun and feel it's heat burn my face, I see no other people, and do not know if I am alone here. I see lots of different animals all around me and I see that I have something imbedded in my arm. I know that it is foreign to my body, that is has been placed there, by who or what, I do not know, but it is not natural to me, I know this for sure as well.

As I explored my surroundings I found myself getting hungry, and foraged for berries in bushes, and then the jewel in my arm came alive, it caused a peculiar sensation to run through me, and as I looked at it again my eyes became dim as it took over my senses. it showed me things, as I looked at what they were I found I might have a use for them, clothes to keep me cool and dry, fire to light my path, and as soon as I selected something I found I had the knowledge of what it was and how to make it.

The jewel seemed to teach me how to survive, giving me only what I needed, but once I had learned something from the jewel it became second nature, like I had been making these items for years.

That first day was strange, Not only the discovery of the jewel and what it had the power to do, or the animals that surrounded me, but just when I thought I was alone, I came across another on the beach, at the time he seemed delirious, for he was raving about having to find his body, that he had died, I thought he had gone mad from the heat as he was dressed in nothing but his underwear. I felt sorry for this man and gave him what I could, I had not foraged much and only had enough materials to make a shirt and hat, I hoped it was enough to help him resist the heat. but he was not crazy.

a few minutes after my encounter, I came upon a rather small looking creature, it seemed harmless enough just following behind me, after a short time there were two and then three, and then they attacked, I tried to fight, I tried to run, both efforts were in vain and I died, or at least I thought I did, I awoke again upon the beach, but this time it was different, I remembered...

I did not remember anything before the first time waking, but I had remembered what I had already learned from the jewel. and I remembered pain, the agony of flesh being torn from my body, hearing myself scream, seeing the creatures tear at me again and again and again until I had been consumed.

No, he was not crazy.

Each Time I die, I awake. and each time I wish I had not. those memories are enough to drive anyone to the brink of insanity. I find sleep eludes me most nights and I am having to rely on a particular type of berry that will enable me to sleep peacefully through the night.

I have met others after that first encounter, but have not yet seen the man from the beach again, life is difficult and the island is unforgiving, but as I continue to learn from the jewel life becomes easier, those that I have met have been willing to trade with me, I find comfort in knowing that I am not alone here, but I am not sure I can trust them all.

No one speaks of the deaths they must surely have endured, for no one who is here can have survived untouched and unaffected. Death is here on this island, as real as the sand and the trees,  silent and unrelenting,  i do not know the direction it will come from next, but i will be prepared.

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Storm Haven Forum Index -> Survivor's journal All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: